Monday, July 7, 2014

Other ODDysseys

Science fiction has taken a back burner for me for the last two years. I haven't written any new sf or fantasy for about a year. I did, however, sell a reprint. My story, "The Visitor," is in the new Fantastic Stories Presents: Science Fiction Super Pack #1, edited by Warren Lapine, which should be released any day now. I'm sharing a TOC with Philip Jose Farmer, Robert A Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Andre Norton, Poul Anderson, Frederik Pohl and Cynthia Ward. Way cool!

I may not have been writing science fiction lately, but I am, indeed, writing  -- and editing. I'm a freelance correspondent (read mostly hyperlocal news blogger) for the local paper and I'm doing writing and editing for hire at www.clevercopy.net.

And I just handed off this lovely thing to the publisher (WolfSinger Publications) on Fri., July 4.




I had a voice part in Emerian Rich's podnovel, Artistic License, which has just launched. You can hear the intro and first two chapters on iTunes now. That was fun. I also did an interview and a reading over at Horror Addicts. It was the June 14th episode.

My husband and I are now teaching private dance lessons - we're doing a dance demo at an event where our favorite band is playing on Saturday.

In March, I launched a new website, which I'm hoping will rake in some bucks, in addition to serving the musicians, dancers and live music-lovers in my county: www.socodancebeat.com. I now have a web and graphic designer on board and hubby helping with data entry.


Given all the other projects that I have going, helping everyone to promote their indie film or passing along sci-fi news here, didn't seem the best use of my time. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this blog. Especially after seeing how many hits I'm still getting when I haven't posted since March.

And the anthology, Cry of the Nightbird, is the first thing I have published in my new, married name. Where to promote that? I looked up the domain, annhutchinson.com. It's available, but for $595. I'm guessing that's because of the semi-famous historical figure by that name. And what if I start doing events? Or some other new venture? Then annhutchinsonwrites.com won't work either. Promotion is exhausting, isn't it?

I don't want to lose my followers here, but I'm not sure when I'm going to write any new sf/fantasy again and without anything of my own to hawk, it's hard to justify the time this blog takes. I think I'm going to look into ways to archive it and link it to a new blog that's more of a hub for all things Ann Hutchinson (and Wilkes). That sounds conceited, doesn't it? I'm just trying to work smarter and manage my time better. If anyone has any ideas, or wants to take over this blog before its ranking plummets, let me know quick. It may be getting completely overhauled soon.

No comments: