Friday, March 12, 2010

Douglas Adams - Happy Belated Birthday!


photo by Chris Ogle

This post should have been yesterday, on Douglas Adams' birthday. But, you know, stuff happens. So, pretend I posted it yesterday and we're good. Or we could do the time warp again and I will have posted it yesterday. Douglas Adams died May 11, 2001 at age 49 of a heart attack. His memory lives in on. And on and on...

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Doug!

I would love to list 42 reasons why everyone should read every novel written by Douglas Adams. But what with playing Starship Titanic, enjoying my long, dark teatime and washing my towel, I just don't have the time. I haven't made a dent in the dishes and I still need to make dinner. I was going to have beef tonight, but it was just too cheeky. Besides, I think it was lying about its tender rear. I intercepted a transmission from Zaphod yesterday. He said he'd be dropping in for fruit loops and shaving cream tomorrow. Of course, I could be wrong, since my babelfish has a virus. He might have said the Vogons are coming. But don't panic! I'm not going to ramble on forever. Now for the Birthday presents.

In honor of Douglas Adams' birthday, I'd like to share all kinds of cool widgets and things. Follow these links to HHGG swag.

Squidoo has movie clips, free wallpaper from flickr, the radio version of HHGG, links to T-shirts, mousepads, etc.

The complete radio series at BBC Audiobooks America.

Fan HHGG on facebook.

Now, if you're not sure you've read every book he's ever written, go here to double-check.

Finally, a commercial from our sponsor (my publisher):
AWESOME LAVRATT by Ann Wilkes
In the spirit of the cult classic The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams: Beautiful Aranna Navna plans to conquer the galaxy one planet at a time. She steals the Awesome Lavratt, a mind control device, from a freighter in Horace Whistlestop’s junkyard. She takes Horace, too. With the Lavratt, Aranna manipulates the thoughts and desires of everyone around her —- until she gets to the Emperor of Calistania. Then things go from bad to worse for Aranna. The Lavratt, however, has only just begun! Oh, the fun you can have from a small cube with mind control powers. Travel the galaxy with Tyrantz Lavratt. Silly science fiction at its best. All puns intended.






vote it up!

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So how old is Doug, anyway?

Ann Wilkes said...

Alex, hed be 58 if he was with us in the corporeal sense. He died at age 49 in 2001. Stricken by a heart attack on May 11th.