Thursday, February 7, 2008

Idiom Spewing

I've been enjoying "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" on Fox. That's no surprise since I'm a "Firefly" fan, and therefore, a Summer Glau fan. She plays a very similar roll in TSCC. There's one character I can live without, however. The next time you're watching TSCC, count how many cliche's (somebody please tell me how to do the accent mark on my keyboard!) agent Greta Simpson spews per sentence. Ugh!

Well, in rereading Under the Suns of Sarshan from the beginning, I am reminded that it isn't crap. It's just tough working on rewrites for so long. I can't see the forest for the trees. Uh-oh. There's an idiom. Maybe that's why that character bothers me so much. I have two Japanese daughters-in-law. There English is quite good, but idioms are hard. It's when I'm talking to them that I'm reminded how many I use myself. If only I could speak in final drafts, rather than rough ones.

When you're working on a novel, there's a lot to keep in the cranium at once without constantly going back to check this or that (which I don't do enough). I'll be glad when it's done. I'll post excerpts probably early next week.

I need to dig out a good photo for the back cover of the Awesome Lavratt and send the galley back. Very exciting! :0) I've made all my changes. Fingers crossed. I hate it when I find tons of typos and things in books I'm reading.

No comments: