Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kicking chicks out of the nest

As most of my readers know, I'm a member of Broad Universe. Just now, over at Broad Universe, we're having a mailing party. This is a week-long submission party. We try to get as many of our stories sent off as we can during that week. Of course, it's all honor system and no prizes, but peer pressure can be a good thing! :)

This evening, I sent out three reprints. The shocking thing was being able to find three paying markets that take them. I spent the majority of this evening reformatting each of the stories to the specific guidelines of the mags in question. At least most submissions these days don't SASEs and trips to the post office. Fingers are crossed, as well as toes. I also sent out a review copy of Awesome Lavratt today. And had two offers of books for me to review. I don't think I'll ever have to buy another book. Of course, I will, though. Starving authors and all. We have to support each other.

So, I didn't get any writing done. Hopefully Thursday evening will be for writing. That's the plan now.

I watched Dead Like Me, Life After Death on Saturday. It was delicious. But, mind you, I'm a die-hard Dead Like Me fan. The series and the movie have several winning elements: dark humor, a cynical narrator, and absurd supernatural circumstances. The movie brought back most of the original cast with the exception of Daisy. Sarah Wynter plays Daisy in the movie. The other notable exception was Rube. The movie opens with our favorite grim reapers meeting their new boss outside of the remains of the waffle house Rube used as their meeting place. Rube had "found his lights" and moved on. Or so the suave, rich replacement said. He's played by Henry Ian Cusick - the guy who played Desmond on Lost.

I'll be joining Tom Wyrsch, producer of Watch Horror Films, Keep America Strong (a journey into Creature Features) and Alice Henderson, author of Voracious on Saturday, June 27th at the Comic Book Box in Rohnert Park. If you're local, please stop by for this Creature Features event from 1PM to 4PM.

Here's the particulars:

Comic Book Box
1451 Southwest Blvd #103
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
707-792-0100





vote it up!

No comments: