Friday, December 14, 2007

"Immunity Project"

I just found out today that I'm not the only one who wasn't paid for my story at Wayfarer Journal. Not only were we not been paid, but the stories were rejected, then published. I found "Immunity Project" on the web after it had been there for a month. That makes it a reprint, whether I like it or not. Not all magazines accept reprints. It just cut my chances of getting it published elsewhere drastically. It was, as it happens, sitting in another magazine's slush pile when this happened.

The editor apologized. But she's apparently not sorry enough to pay me, or put the correct name and put the blurb and link back up on the "Stories" page. I had asked her to take the story down for "repairs" as it had formatting problems. Most of the formatting issues were fixed eventually, but the links and blurb didn't go back up as they were. I feel like my story has been sent to the corner. Or is being treated as an afterthought.

I hesitated to name the magazine. Finding out that I'm not the only one they did this to changed my mind. Writer beware!

The blurb, if there was one, would go something like this: A far future space faring civilization experiments on the unsuspecting survivors of the wartorn planet of Kradon. Will Donard let the Krads know they're being kept in an intentionally radiated zone? Will it help them, in the end?

Let me know what you think of my story. Writers love strokes. :)

No comments: