Friday, November 9, 2007

Broken Plot Lines

I think I'll have to keep a notebook nearby every time I'm working on my novels. Otherwise, ugly things can happen. Like forgotten threads that never come to fruition. Or a key that was so important and is later forgotten. In my current novel, I introduced a romantic element too early, so I decided to take it out. But when I got to the later chapters in my rewrite, I decided to shift the romance to the minor characters (alien/human btw), then I decided to keep it to the main characters but introduce it later. Who knows? I might change my mind again. But it really effects dialog and mannerisms throughout. Purging must be complete. (@@)

I tend to think there's too much romance in serious SF, but then I see the appeal that space operas with a romantic element have even with guys. They just won't admit it. My SF, so far is never about the romance. I don't even read romance novels. It's okay for subplots, though, if it's not contrived.

Since I've already gone off on a tangent, anyone have the answer to this one? Do couples (or potential couples) fall on each other in a passionate frenzy in the middle of a fight? I see it on the tube all the time and on the big screen, too. And then there's the "after the slaughter quickie. " Are you kidding me? I just can't buy it. I've never heard of this happening in real life.

Of course, in real life you don't pull the arrow out before you bandage the wound in triage. And you most certainly take the feathers off the end before you do. Anyone see Flash Gordon tonight?

Back to the subject at hand. More reasons that notebook will come in handy:

I can't tell you how many times I leave a (______) where an alien word should go because I'm on a roll and can't remember the name. I can't be bothered when the juices are flowing. Then I have to go back and fill in the blanks later. That notebook would have a glossary of alien words.

And in which chapter did she first start calling the Captain by his first name? Am I reverting?

What word did I decide on for the alien captain instead of captain?

It's a lot to keep track of but I guess that's a good sign. If there wasn't so much to keep track of, it wouldn't be a very interesting read, would it?

Fortunately, I have two critique groups to help me catch the stuff that gets away from me.

No comments: