Sunday, November 18, 2007

Let's do the time warp again!

My friend and I couldn't wait to go see the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie when it first came out. We came to the theater with high hopes . . . and our towels. You can't go on an intergalactic trip without one! Either we picked the wrong show time, the wrong venue or people who enjoy SF/Fantasy participation were at home playing their RPGs (Role Playing Games). The movie itself was disappointing, although it did have its moments. The lack of audience enthusiasm was sad.

I'm planning to attend BayCon in May. I will definitely catch their showing of Rocky Horror. I first saw it in Seattle's "U" district back in 1980. I wasn't one of those people who liked to watch shows more than once. The only movie I paid to see a second time was the original Star Wars movie in the 70s. But Rocky Horror isn't a movie. It's an event.

When it comes to the smaller screen, I have my stock favorites. I've become a Princess Bride and Jumping Jack Flash nut. If I spot them on the satellite TV's guide while searching for something worthwhile to watch, I have to peek. I have to at least see which scene it is before moving on. And who can resist Modern Problems and Nothing But Trouble?

I wonder if any die-hard Princess Bride fan has had "mostly dead" put on their tombstone.

No comments: